I’ve been using the Professional Slim Laptop Backpack from eBags.com for a few weeks now, and I’ve got to say I love this thing. Here are my thoughts on the experience of using this laptop backpack.
I have used several backpacks and laptop bags. Often the zipper malfunctions after only a few weeks–it either gets stuck or pieces break off. Not with this backpack, though. It uses high quality zippers.
The rest of the bags material seems to be of high quality as well.
There is a big storage compartment for your laptop that fits my 15-inch MacBook Pro with ease. I was even able to put a friend’s 17-inch laptop in there with no problem.
There is then a secondary pocket for tablet. I store my iPad Pro as well as my notary journal in the secondary compartment without any issues.
There is one other large compartment which includes several smaller areas. In mine I store my notary stamp, credit card reader, several pens in the pen holders, my passport and I still have several unused areas.
Then towards the bottom is a hard-shell cased area where you store your laptop’s power brick. This compartment is easily removable if you need just a little more room for a bigger laptop.
It is very stylish. You can wear it while wearing a suit or just jeans and a tshirt. It doesn’t matter if you’re a man or a woman–it will look good on your back either way. If you don’t want to carry it on your back, you can tuck the straps away and carry it by the handle instead.
If you travel a lot there is a handle pass through. It allows you to pass the handle of your luggage through and roll your luggage and backpack down Terminal 3 with ease.
I would have liked to see a battery pack added with a USB Port in the tablet area as well as in the front pocket so you can charge your tablet as well as your phone. An even nicer plus would be able to charge your laptop as well while it’s in the bag.
I give this bag a 9.5 out of 10 for the 199 US that it costs. I believe it’s worth it, especially if you’re a professional that travels a lot. The Professional Slim Laptop Backpack is currently on sale for just 120 US from eBags.com.
For more details, here are the specs / features listed for this backpack on the eBags.com website:
- Limited Lifetime Warranty against defects in materials and workmanship
- Uber organized with fully padded lockable laptop and tablet compartments, crush-proof AC adaptor garage and zippered water bottle pocket
- Fits laptops 1.5” D x 12.25″ W x 16.5″ to 17.5″ H if pad removed and tablet compartment is 8.125” W x 11.5” H
- Easily converts from backpack to briefcase and includes vertical and horizontal luggage handle pass-thru panels
- Well-padded vented Airmesh back panel and contoured backpack straps with removable adjustable shock-load sternum strap
- True to the Professional series, there are a number of innovative interior features:
- Fully padded and lockable laptop compartment – completely isolated from the contents of the pack. Easy access via an “L”-zip opening. Fits laptops as large as 1.5” thick x 12.25″ wide x 16.5″ tall (17.5″ tall with the secondary pad removed)
- Crush-proof AC-Adapter garage that isolates heavy (or fragile) accessories from the rest of the pack. Positioned at the bottom for better load balancing. Removable for those times when you need extra storage capacity
- Top-load tablet pocket is fleece-lined for automatic glass cleaning, measures 8-1/8” wide x 11.5” tall, lays flat between the main and laptop compartment, and is lockable
- Easy access middle compartment via an “L”-zip opening. A 4” deep shelf across the bottom provides a rigid flat surface for binders/folders/books without the classic “diaper butt” posture of most backpacks. 13” max height. Easily holds a 3” wide 3-ring binder. Because of the tapered shape of the pack, the compartment does become narrower at the top. When you need to pack a lot of volume, remove the AC Adapter garage, fold down the shelf, and take full advantage of the 12.25” width & 17.25” height
- UPDATE: Diagonal slash pocket inside the middle compartment to help organize loose papers and folders. Added based on customer input
- A front panel organizer that keeps you organized. We’ve eliminated any chance of stuff piling up at the bottom of the compartment by creating a 2-dimensional workspace free of clutter.The front organizer panel includes:
- Three zippered “See What’s Where” mesh pockets
- Two business card pockets
- Two elastic pen loops plus one hidden pen pocket
- One elastic-trimmed pouch pocket
- UPDATE: All organizer panel pockets are now zippered based on customer input
- … and we always include a key leash
- Exterior features:
- Zippered side-mounted water bottle pocket
- Vertical zippered “Napoleon” pocket on the face is perfect for boarding passes and is designed with YKK locking apparel zippers to ensure it will not “walk open”
- Low profile top and side grab handles for easy portability
- Airmesh back panel is fully vented and well padded in all the right places
- Contoured backpack straps generously padded with Airmesh – UPDATE: Adjustable/removable shock-loaded sternum strap has been added based on customer input
- Luggage handle pass-through panel on the back allow you to stack the TLS Slim on your favorite suitcase both vertically or horizontally. UPDATE: The vertical orientation change was based on customer input
- UPDATE: Backpack straps now unclip for storage inside the pass-through panel for a cleaner dangle-free appearance when carried as a briefcase – again, this feature change was in response to customer input. The clips have also been upgraded since the feature was added. The clips shown in the still photos are correct – the 360 spin images are not
- Lockable D-rings on primary zippers discourage tampering and keep luggage locks in a consistent location
- Premium self-repairing YKK RC zippers use lockable double sliders on almost all openings
- Discrete photo-reflective zipper cords for nighttime safety
- High-visibility 210D orange nylon lining makes finding your stuff a lot easier
- 840 x 900D Twisted Filament Polyester exterior with DuPont Teflon fabric protection